Lavery is pleased to announce that 67 of its lawyers have been recognized as leaders in their respective fields of expertise by The Best Lawyers in Canada 2023. The following lawyers also received the Lawyer of the Year award in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada: René Branchaud : Natural Resources Law Chantal Desjardins : Intellectual Property Law Bernard Larocque : Legal Malpractice Law Patrick A. Molinari : Health Care Law Consult the complete list of Lavery's lawyers and their fields of expertise: Josianne Beaudry : Mergers and Acquisitions Law / Mining Law Laurence Bich-Carrière : Class Action Litigation / Corporate and Commercial Litigation / Product Liability Law Dominic Boivert : Insurance Law (Ones To Watch) Luc R. Borduas : Corporate Law / Mergers and Acquisitions Law Daniel Bouchard : Environmental Law Laurence Bourgeois-Hatto : Workers' Compensation Law René Branchaud : Mining Law / Natural Resources Law / Securities Law Étienne Brassard : Equipment Finance Law / Mergers and Acquisitions Law / Real Estate Law Jules Brière : Aboriginal Law / Indigenous Practice / Administrative and Public Law / Health Care Law Myriam Brixi : Class Action Litigation Benoit Brouillette : Labour and Employment Law Richard Burgos : Mergers and Acquisitions Law / Corporate Law Marie-Claude Cantin : Insurance Law / Construction Law Brittany Carson : Labour and Employment Law Eugene Czolij : Corporate and Commercial Litigation France Camille De Mers : Mergers and Acquisitions Law (Ones To Watch) Chantal Desjardins : Intellectual Property Law Jean-Sébastien Desroches : Corporate Law / Mergers and Acquisitions Law Raymond Doray : Privacy and Data Security Law / Administrative and Public Law / Defamation and Media Law Christian Dumoulin : Mergers and Acquisitions Law Alain Y. Dussault : Intellectual Property Law Isabelle Duval : Family Law Chloé Fauchon : Municipal Law (Ones To Watch) Philippe Frère : Administrative and Public Law Simon Gagné : Labour and Employment Law Nicolas Gagnon : Construction Law Richard Gaudreault : Labour and Employment Law Danielle Gauthier : Labour and Employment Law Julie Gauvreau : Intellectual Property Law Michel Gélinas : Labour and Employment Law Caroline Harnois : Family Law / Family Law Mediation / Trusts and Estates Marie-Josée Hétu : Labour and Employment Law Alain Heyne : Banking and Finance Law Édith Jacques : Energy Law / Corporate Law Pierre Marc Johnson, Ad. E. : International Arbitration Marie-Hélène Jolicoeur : Labour and Employment Law Isabelle Jomphe : Intellectual Property Law Guillaume Laberge : Administrative and Public Law Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin : Insurance Law Awatif Lakhdar : Family Law Bernard Larocque : Professional Malpractice Law / Class Action Litigation / Insurance Law / Legal Malpractice Law Myriam Lavallée : Labour and Employment Law Guy Lavoie : Labour and Employment Law / Workers' Compensation Law Jean Legault : Banking and Finance Law / Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law Carl Lessard : Workers' Compensation Law / Labour and Employment Law Josiane L'Heureux : Labour and Employment Law Despina Mandilaras : Construction Law / Corporate and Commercial Litigation (Ones To Watch) Hugh Mansfield : Intellectual Property Law Zeïneb Mellouli : Labour and Employment Law Patrick A. Molinari : Health Care Law André Paquette : Mergers and Acquisitions Law Luc Pariseau : Tax Law Ariane Pasquier : Labour and Employment Law Jacques Paul-Hus : Mergers and Acquisitions Law Hubert Pepin : Labour and Employment Law Martin Pichette : Insurance Law / Professional Malpractice Law Élisabeth Pinard : Family Law François Renaud : Banking and Finance Law / Structured Finance Law Judith Rochette : Insurance Law / Professional Malpractice Law Ian Rose FCIArb : Director and Officer Liability Practice / Insurance Law Chantal Saint-Onge : Corporate and Commercial Litigation (Ones To Watch) Éric Thibaudeau : Workers' Compensation Law André Vautour : Corporate Governance Practice / Corporate Law / Information Technology Law / Intellectual Property Law / Technology Law Bruno Verdon : Corporate and Commercial Litigation Sébastien Vézina : Mergers and Acquisitions Law Yanick Vlasak : Corporate and Commercial Litigation Jonathan Warin : Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law These recognitions are further demonstration of the expertise and quality of legal services that characterize Lavery’s professionals.
- Québec, 2013
France Camille De Mers is a partner of the Business Law group. She practices mainly in transactional and commercial law. In her practice, Ms. De Mers negotiates, drafts and revises various legal documents related to commercial transactions (sale and acquisition of businesses, mergers, corporate reorganizations).
Over the course of her career, Ms. De Mers has worked on several major transactions and supported entrepreneurs in all facets of their growth. She advises them on their corporate structure, governance, lobbying and strategic issues.
Ms. De Mers has developed a specialization in intellectual property and advises her clients on information technology, trademarks and the licensing and transfer of intellectual property rights.
- " Développements récents en droit des sociétés " (2019),“Gouvernance des sociétés d’État à vocation commerciale— Rôle et pouvoirs du conseil d’administration et de la direction des sociétés d’État, similitudes et différences avec les sociétés par actions de droit privé” (co-authored with André Vautour and Jean-François Maurice)
- Representation of a successful board game publisher in selling its business for over $80 million
- Representation of a major French publishing company in acquiring two board game publishers allowing it to enter the Canadian market
- Representation of Talent.com (formerly Neuvoo) in the implementation of its $53-million Series A funding by the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec to expand into new markets and bolster its platform with artificial intelligence
- Representation of an energy company in setting up a joint venture in the artificial intelligence field
- Representation of an aerospace start-up in several rounds of financing, drafting and negotiating data distribution and marketing agreements and acting as the company corporate secretary
- Representation of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its nearly $160-million investment in two rounds of financing in Top Aces Inc., a company specializing in air combat training
- Representation of Groupe Sélection in the establishment of a consortium for the construction, development and ownership of Espace Montmorency, Laval’s largest mixed-use real estate project worth nearly $500 million
- Representation of an agricultural company in acquiring a competitor resulting in the creation of one of the largest agricultural companies in Quebec
Professional and community activities
- Chair of the Member Relations Committee of the Young Bar of Montreal (2019-2020)
- Professor at the École du Barreau, since 2020
- Post graduate degree in cultural organizations management, HEC Montréal, 2016
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2012
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Young Bar of Montreal (2019-2020)
- Member of the International Literary and Artistic Association
- Member of the Association des juristes pour l’avancement de la vie artistique
- Member of the Association of Quebec Women in Finance
On August 25, 2022, Best Lawyers in Canada released the results of a new initiative to recognize the rising stars in the Canadian legal profession. The results of the Ones to Watch survey that was held among the Canadian legal community identified four Lavery lawyers as rising stars in their respective fields of expertise: Dominic Boisvert : Insurance Law France Camille De Mers : Mergers and Acquisitions Law Chloé Fauchon : Municipal Law Despina Mandilaras : Construction Law / Corporate and Commercial Litigation Chantal Saint Onge : Corporate and Commercial Litigation These recognitions are further demonstration of the expertise and quality of legal services that characterize Lavery's professionals.
On June 13, 2022, Resonetics announced the purchase of the entirety of the shares of Agile MV, a Montréal-based medical device design and development contract manufacturing company. The transaction was motivated by the quality of expertise that Agile MV's team of engineers, scientists, and technicians possess throughout the entire production cycle, from initial concept consolidation to mass production. Our partner, Audrey Gibeault, had the privilege of representing the company in this major transaction that involved complex tax planning, among other things. In business law, this transaction was led by our partner Étienne Brassard. Ms. Gibeault and Mr. Étienne Brassard were mainly assisted in this transaction by Gabrielle Ahélo. They were assisted by Luc Pariseau, Sonia Guérin, France Camille De Mers, Brittany Carson, Éric Gélinas, André Vautour, Michael Pageau, Maxime Chabot and Charles-Hugo Gagné. —Agile MV is a Quebec-based medical device design and development contract manufacturing company. It specializes in the development of minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices in the following areas: cardiac electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, interventional radiology, interventional pulmonology, interventional gastroenterology, interventional pain management and interventional neurology.Resonetics specializes in advanced engineering and manufacturing solutions for the life sciences industry, laser cutting, centerless grinding, nitinol processing, thin-wall stainless steel and precious metal tubing, photochemical machining, microfluidics, sensor solutions and medical energy.
On June 2, 2022, Calypso-Valcartier Group announced the sale of all of the shares of its two amusement parks, Village Vacances Valcartier located near Quebec City and Calypso, near Ottawa, and more specifically of the shares of the two parks’ operating corporations and their asset holding corporations. The assets of the two parks are now indirectly owned by EPR Properties, and they are operated by a Canadian subsidiary of Premier Parks, LLC. Our partners, André Vautour and France Camille De Mers, and their team assisted Premier Parks LLC in the due diligence of the parks’ assets and operations. They participated in structuring the new parks’ operating corporations, in the drafting of the share acquisition documentation of both the asset holding and operating corporations, and in the negotiation of all associated terms. The transaction was realized in collaboration with the Tennessee-based law firm Waller, a member, as is Lavery, of World Services Group, a worldwide network of premier law and other professional firms.