Gabrielle Mathieu is a member of our Litigation and Conflict Resolution Group at our Montreal office.
As part of her multidisciplinary and diversified practice, she acts in matters involving several areas, including commercial litigation, construction litigation, injunctions, as well as bankruptcy and insolvency. As such, she appears before the courts and represents various clients from the public and private sectors.
Gabrielle is also involved in a number of cases dealing with intellectual property litigation, including trademark and copyright matters.
She also has expertise in regulatory matters, particularly in the areas of insurance and the distribution of financial products and services.
A true art and architecture enthusiast, Gabrielle completed her studies in art history before beginning her studies in law, specializing in modern sculpture and architecture. She has also taught art history in various colleges, worked in the field of digital publishing and worked as a junior consultant for a project to enhance heritage value.
- Represented an insurer in the context of a large-scale case involving the liability of engineers and builders
- Advised and represented a group of co-owners concerning the protection of their rights relating to a servitude of use for agricultural purposes and the protection of the intended purpose of their co-ownership property
- Represented a manufacturer in the context of complex litigation concerning the rehabilitation of a public infrastructure project of the City of Montreal
- Provided research and support to associates and partners in various litigation matters involving, among other things, the administration of public tenders and neighbourhood disturbances following the contamination of a property by pollutants
- Represented a major corporation of the surety industry in the context of a receivership sale of its debtors’ assets under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Represented various businesses in protecting their rights in respect of trademarks registered with the CIPO
- Drafted a review brief before the Federal Court for a trademark case
- Advised as to the application of Bill 96, An Act respecting French, the official and common language of Québec
Insurance Regulatory Matters
- Complaint processing: New framework to come for financial institutions and financial intermediaries, Lavery Bulletin, May 2, 2022
- Bill 141: Checklist on insurance products offered via the internet and distribution without a representative, Lavery Bulletin, February 13, 2020
Intellectual Property, Arts and Heritage Law
- Can an Idea, Style or Method Be Protected Under the Copyright Act?, Lavery Bulletin, December 15, 2021
- Crypto asset works of art and non-fungible token (NFT) investments: Be careful!, Lavery Bulletin, June 28, 2021
- Heffel Gallery Limited: The National Importance of Foreign Art in Canada, Lavery Bulletin, June 3, 2019
- Projets et utopies au Québec. Les années 1960 et 1970 : entre sculpture et architecture [Projects and Utopias in Quebec. The 1960s and 1970s : Between Sculpture and Architecture], Master's thesis, December 2014
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2019
- Master's Degree in Art History, Université de Montréal, 2014
- Bachelor's Degree in Art History, Université de Montréal, 2011